Color Drift: Two Days of Dyeing Techniques
Late Summer 2020
As we start reopening, push PLAY- Textile Play Day that is! We’re excited to announce our textile play day, Color Drift. We’ll spend two full days exploring the magical dyeing process, introducing you to principles of ice dyeing, alcohol dyeing and more; little experiments with crimpers, and pleaters; reworked fashion examples and plenty of food, drinks and the camaraderie that we’re all going to welcome after this!
WHEN & WHERE:Late Summer 2020. Day one begins at 10 AM until 6PM. Day two is from 10AM – 4PM. The Color Drift workshop will be held at my house in the far western suburbs of Chicago. ( We’ll provide all the details when you register.)
HOW WE”LL PLAY:
The workshop starts with an overview on the dyeing processes and technique we’ll be covering with in-progress samples and finished examples as reference. Then the rest of the day will be spent dyeing.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN YOUR COLOR DRIFT PACKAGE:
- Two Lunches, One Light Supper, beverages & snacks
- Overview of dyeing processes and techniques
- Demonstrations, with samples of various dye processes, folding/patterning techniques, etc.
- Personal, hands-on instruction
- Two days of dyeing
- Dyeing supplies- Dye, vats, aprons, gloves, etc.
- Advanced dyeing supplies
- Specialty fabric for dyeing
You’ll go home with:
- Small container of their favorite dye color, textile detergent, and soda ash to dye at home
- Dye process overview and instructions
- Bundle DIY dye kit
- All your dye samples and dyed articles
- A special surprise!
Questions? Drop us a line…
Agenda July 9th
- Ice Dye overview with single-color samples, dye/fold examples, etc.
- Prep and set up your first ice dye sample
- Intro + Demo Alcohol Dyeing
- Alcohol dye your supplied sample(s)
- Technique Inspiration with vintage pinkers, pleaters and more
- Drain off ice dye tubs and prep for vat dye
- Soda crystal dye (multi-color) or scrunch dye (single color)
- Vat dye (single color, can be tied, folded, etc.)
- Cocktails/Conversation/Craft while prepping another ice dye batch overnight
Agenda July 10th
- “Marbleize” dye technique
- Non-alcohol silk “Microwave” dye technique
- Second-chance dye time—choose the technique you’d like to try again
- Unbundle yesterday morning’s ice dye, rinse
- Rinse yesterday’s vat dye
- Bundle dye demo & example
- Workshop Wrap Up