Dates Coming Soon for 2021!
We are so excited about our return to Portugal in 2021! We have a wonderful (if we do say so ourselves) itinerary planned that combines a mix of design history (those tiles!), studio visits, workshops, and curated tours, all with time to explore Lisbon.
If you’ve never considered Portugal as a design destination—please do! There is a distinctly contemporary arts & design culture, fused with a true respect for traditional methods, skills, and materials. And fortunately for visitors, Portugal remains affordable, making excellent food & wine, along with great shopping, reasonable even given the Euro to dollar exchange. Plus, Portugal was named Europe’s Leading Destination in the 2019 World Travel Awards, just announced earlier this month, and was the featured destination in the NYTimes travel section just yesterday!
Join us to explore the design history and design opportunities offered by a country that was once the most powerful in the world—and that through myriad circumstances managed to preserve a culture of artisanship valued throughout Europe. Restorations and renovations at Versailles and Fontainebleau, as well as other palaces and embassies throughout Europe, depend on the traditional expertise to be found throughout Portugal. And bonus: The country is home to 15 UNESCO heritage sites. Add in that the thriving contemporary design scene and you literally have dozens of excellent reasons to join us this October.
Lisbon beckons us. Touted as a modern metropolis to rival London and packed with places of interest, Lisbon is a city that is really going places. There is a plethora of history here, with tales of everything from Roman imperialists to exotic Berber pirates, Moorish builders to fierce Reconquista knights, all wrapped up in the grand palaces and heritage districts. But there is also an atmosphere of bohemianism and the surprise of the new. We’ll explore the city and its design and artisan scene- starting with the amazing azulejos in the National Tile Museum followed by a private tile painting workshop. We’ll continue to explore the authentic artisan culture with Grandma Comes to Work and the Portuguese Decorative Arts Museum and its satellite workshops. A visit to Lisbon would not be complete without a visit to St George’s Castle, the most visible landmark of Lisbon’s historic center or the famous Tram system; none are more iconic than Tram 28 which has been working its way up the steep, cobbled roads and into the Alfama district. We’ll marvel at the Berardo Collection Museum, filled with a smorgasbord of eclectic artworks, which range from abstract expressionism to digital art installations or neo-realism and photography.
Here’s a sneak peek at what we’ll be experiencing:
*Welcome Cava on historical boat tour of Lisbon
*Guided museum tours including Decorative Arts Museum, National Tile Museum
*Inspiring creative experiences including studio visits and hands-ons opportunities with some of both city’s most famous artistic traditions—gold leaf, leather, cork, tile painting, embroidery, paper, and much more…
*Indulge your senses—scent, taste, sight and touch— with visits to renowned artisans VIP amenities at hotel
*Design destinations and insider access to showrooms and ateliers across Lisbon
*Private Lifestyle experiences to explore the secrets of Portugal
*Special “small producer” Port wine tasting
*Day Trip to see the fabulous Palaces in Sintra with our own design guide
*Private guided food tour to discover Portuguese cuisine
*Farewell dinners in Lisbon
*As-you-wish meet-ups for cocktails to review the day compare notes, share stories, etc.
*Pre-travel web session with Deb and Susan to preview locations, M&O planning, travel details, our Portugal faves and more
Vintage Hotel and Spa
More than a comfortable place to lay your head, more than a great location at the heart of Lisbon’s favorite neighborhoods, more than a chic design destination…The Vintage Hotel & Spa offers guests a unique lifestyle experience under one roof.
Escape to the luxurious retreat of our underground spa or to our tranquility indoor pool. Take in the view at ‘V Rooftop Bar,’ surrounded by a jungle of greenery, cocktail in hand. Dine in style at beautiful ‘Blue’ Restaurant & Bar, with a menu and art inspired by Portugal’s sea & sky. Retire to the lobby & tee up the vinyl on our bespoke 50s turntable, before turning in to your room, designed with mid-century elegance in mind, for a complimentary G&T from your very own signature vintage bar cart.…and when you’re ready to explore, grab a copy of our curated Lisbon map (with ALL our local favourites) and hit the town. The famous Avenida Liberdade and Bairro Alto, Chiado and Principe Real are on our doorstep. Boa viagem!
$5300 double occupancy*
Guarantee your reservation with a $1500 deposit
*contact us for single supplement rates
Fill out the form below to save your seat!
- 6days/5 nights at four-star hotels in Lisbon – double occupancy
- Pick-up and delivery from airports or train stations (Airfare not included)
- Daily breakfast at the hotel
- Lunches and dinners as described in itinerary
- Metro pass in Lisbon
- 1st Class transportation to Sintra
- Admission to events, tours, venues on itinerary
- Historical Lisbon Boat Tour
- Guided museum tours including Decorative Arts Museum (FRESS), National Tile Museum
- Hands-on workshops
- VIP amenities at hotel
- Design destinations and insider access to showrooms and ateliers across Lisbon
- Transportation to/from appointments and venues
- Private Lifestyle experiences to explore the secrets of Portugal
- Special “small producer” Port wine tasting
- Farewell dinners in Lisbon
- As-you-wish meet-ups for cocktails to review the day compare notes, share stories, etc.
- Pre-travel web session with Deb and Susan to preview locations, M&O planning, travel details, our faves and more
- Download the registration form with all the details and policies
- Read the policies, fill out the form
- Send or email the the registration form with the deposit check or credit card details
- Once we’ve received your deposit and registration we’ll send you more details and with our Welcome letter.
As we get closer to our departure date, we’ll be sending you weekly email updates, tips and news as well as details to our Facebook Group and webinar.
Is my airfare included in the tour price?
No, air transportation to Lisbon is the responsibility of the participant. Please arrange your flights accordingly. Private transportation to and from Airport is included. We will provide information on transfers from the airport to our hotel 10 days BEFORE tour departure.
Do I have to find a roommate?
No, our tour package is based on double occupancy, but we will assign roomies and introduce you prior to the trip. In the 10 years we have been doing this we have matched roomies well- with no issues. In fact, we have introduced many lifelong friends. If you prefer a single room, please contact us for supplement up-charge.
Is there anything else not included?
Passport fees, visa (non-U.S. citizen), personal and/or baggage insurance, excess baggage, meals, tours and entrance fees not specified in the itinerary, all items of a personal nature such as laundry, cleaning, telephone, and beverages. Wine, liquor, soft drinks, tips to porters, drivers and local guides, and any other items not specifically mentioned as included above and listed here.
Also not included are the following:
- Any meals except breakfast at the hotel and dinners as noted
- Any admissions or fees except as noted
- Any additional transportation fees outside of those listed above (i.e., we’re not bussing you to/from the shows at a specific time, you get there when you want and leave when you want, courtesy of those all-zone transit passes)
- Optional activities, entries & transportation is on you.
- Travel and cancellation insurance
- Personal expenses
- Tips for guides, hotel staff, taxis, etc.
- All items of a personal nature, such as telephone calls, laundry, pay TV, hotel mini-bars, etc
- All private excursions not specified in the itinerary
- Any public transport, taxi, local bus, rail or flights not specified in the itinerary
What if I have to cancel?
The deposit is non-refundable; 90 days prior to tour date – 50% non-refundable; 30 days prior to tour date – 100% non-refundable. Cancellation within 30 days or less will result in forfeiture of the entire cost of the tour. Trip cancellation insurance is strongly advised; medical insurance is required.
Is there a payment plan?
You can guarantee your reservation with a nonrefundable $1500.00 deposit. Balance of the package price is due in two installments to be announced in later 2020. You may pay by check or credit card and we invoice you through PayPal.