Welcome and allow me to introduce myself! I’m Deb Barrett.I am driven by the desire to inspire and energize my fellow design peers by sharing my knowledge and experience about my two passions- couture window coverings and trendspotting. After many years in this business, I have a broad and varied background and experience that is a rare mix in this industry.
Here is a snapshot view of who I am:
- As a design creative and principal in my firm, Window Dressings, I am best known and have built a reputation for cutting edge couture treatments. I bring a fashion sense and passion for dressmaker’s details in my work. A five-time winner of the Window Fashions Design Competition, I am a designer whose specialty is finding imaginative solutions to challenging design problems, and whose style bridges the Traditional to Modern.
- As an energetic and prolific professional, my career path has taken me in several directions- writing, media tours, design journalism and speaking. As an author, my books Tools of the Trade and Soft Furnishings Sketchbook are in their second editions. My new book, What Makes a Great Window Treatment? features techniques, fabrications and inspiration that can transform custom to couture.
- I speak and report across the country on a variety of design and trend topics. I speak to major trends in culture, business and interiors to inspire audiences. My highly interactive programs reflect my two passions- couture window coverings and design.
- As a trend strategist, I travel the world to develop design intelligence and interior forecasts.My fascination with what’s around the corner and constant search for inspiration has led me to my current roles as a consultant, speaker and design blogger.
- As a thought leader and market intelligence consultant, I regularly work with industry partners, consumers and professionals to impart business insights and lateral inspiration that informs innovation through presentations, white papers and products.
You can find me elsewhere on the web, blogging at Design Confidential and my newest venture, Soft Design Lab. Want to learn more? check out my PRESS.
10 Things I Can’t Live Without
My yearly dose of Paris
Stacks of consumer and trade design publications
A glass of red wine at the end of the day
My Ipod’s Hip Hop Playlist
Jo Malone perfume
A daily summer swim
Vintage art posters